The shortest war ever fought was between Britain and Zanzibar on August 27, 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
It takes just about the same time to sit one through a panic attack. Isn’t that a comforting thought knowing panic attacks don’t last forever?
Just let it peak and wait till it subsides. Although the feelings may be horrible at first, understanding that it will end soon makes you feel safe.
If you feel excessive worry, you can’t concentrate, you feel irritable, you can’t sleep, you feel restless and feeling a general sense of fatigue for weeks you may be on the verge of a full blown panic attack.
Be proactive and do something about it. Don’t let it reach its peak. Here are some ways to combat general anxiety and prevent a full blown panic attack from happening:
1. Try sipping German chamomile tea. Its calming effects on both your body and mind can help you sleep much better. You can be certain that you will get your average 8 hours sleep every night. We all know that lack of sleep causes irritability, confusion and stress right?
The ritual of preparing something warm to drink is also practice in mindfulness-a zen way to center yourself and regroup.
Other herbs popularly known for its anti-anxiety quality are lemon balm and passion flower. They come in tea, tincture and essences forms.
Consult with your doctor or certified herbalist before taking any herbal remedies. Particularly if you are taking other medications or you are pregnant.
2. Practice breathing exercises, muscle relaxation exercises, meditation and visualization. That’s a tall order aren’t they? Remember doing these exercises on regular basis doesn’t require a lot of money. Just a little bit of time, effort and discipline on your part. Because you have to be discipline enough in order to be consistent. Without consistency you won’t achieve your goal. And in your in case your goal is learning how to stop a panic attack successfully.
Breathing exercises, muscle relaxation techniques, and mind conditioning are three of the most important activities to practice regularly. Once you become a master at these three, you’ll find out how easy it is to recover from anxiety.
3. Practice Yoga/Tai chi chuan: They are both meditation in motion. The breathing exercises both these disciplines come with are enough to ward of stress, anxiety and panic attacks. Yoga and tai chi are alternative ways to achieve balance, harmony and peace within yourself.
4. Connect. Reach out. Vent your pent-up emotions to a confidant, close relative, members in your support group, your pastor, minister or rabbi. It is never a good idea to bottle up your problems for a long time. Never underestimate the power of a 30 minute conversation.
5. Take charge. Be in control. Learn how to be assertive. Depressed people are often passive people. They wait for things to happen to them instead of making them happen. They feel worthless. And sometimes feel guilty and ashamed. To get what you want in life, you have to grab the bull by the horns. Set goals. Achieve your dreams.
Assert yourself to join a group/organization and take the first step to open up to others no matter how a small step it can be. Once you are comfortable in taking the initiative, a whole new sense of possibilities are going to open up to you.
6. One way to combat constant worrying is to replace your negative thoughts with calming and positive ones. This process is called creative visualization. Once a day, go find a secluded spot (your room) where you can sit or lie down quietly. Close your eyes, noticed your belly going up and down as your breathe slowly and deeply.
Once you feel every muscles of your body in a relaxed state, imagine that you are floating on air like a balloon as you cross the green fields… you go up… up… and slowly land on a castle. You see a narrow and long corridor… as you slowly walked through it… you see a long wooded table… on it you see a stacks and stacks of freshly baked pancakes… you savor the smell of faint cinnamon and nutmeg… And you see a glass jug full of bubbling pink liquid… you just want to feast on everything you want to see…
See how relaxing and wonderful that feels? For awhile there you forget your worries and troubles. Do this a few times a day ( using your own script if you want). This is helpful if you are particularly anxious and stressed. You will notice incremental positive changes.